John Snow, Inc. (JSI) is a public health management firm, headquartered in the United States, dedicated
to improving the health of individuals and communities throughout the world. JSI has been implementing public health work in Ethiopia for over 25 years.
JSI is implementing the five-year Digital Health Activity (DHA) in Ethiopia, which is funded by the United States Agency for International Development (USAID) Ethiopia Mission. The purpose of this Activity is to support the Government of Ethiopia (GOE) to improve the quality of health services and create a sustainable healthcare system through the use of data for decision-making, as well as to provide similar services to other countries in Africa or to respond to a crisis in Ethiopia (as needed). The primary
objectives of the Activity are to 1) support information technology systems and data repositories at all levels; 2) build a culture of data use, and 3) improve the capacity and governance of MOH health information systems management.
The Deputy Chief of Party (DCOP) – Programs will oversee the data use and program support interventions of the Digital Health Activity. He/she will provide overall leadership for all activities related to data use, governance, and program support (HIV, TB, malaria, public health emergency management, vaccination, supply chain, and regulatory activities). He/she will ensure that all of the program work
supports the overall Activity strategy. The DCOP-Programs will ensure that the program functions are aligned with both the technical priorities of the Government of Ethiopia (GoE) and United States Government (USG) regulations. The DCOP will provide overall advisory and strategic support for country projects engaged in the development and/or implementation of program tools, ensuring alignment with overall JSI standards, quality, and organizational objectives and mission. The DCOP will also support the Chief of Party in client relationships, overall project strategy development, reporting and work planning, and business development. He/she will also oversee and supervise program personnel and ensure that all deliverables are of the highest quality and delivered on time.
This is a full-time position, reporting to the Chief of Party, and will be based in Addis Ababa. Female candidates are encouraged to apply.
● Support the Chief of Party in providing the overall management and strategic vision for the program(s), developing and updating annual work plans, reporting, and ensuring that project deliverables are met.
● Lead and design high-impact, evidence-based, and context-responsive digital health interventions targeting improvements in the performance of different health programs.
● Work in coordination with the entire senior management team to ensure effective coordination of technical activities with operational management.
● Enhance DHA’s engagement in various health program Technical Working Groups and other relevant platforms to build and maintain good relationships with all stakeholders.
● Develop concept notes and proposals for mobilizing resources which complement existing interventions.
● Provide timely and evidence-based advice and support to field teams in relation to improving the quality and use of information in various health programs.
● Ensures timeliness and quality of program deliverables, supervision of program financial and human resources, program costs and budget management, quality assurance and compliance are adhered to as per the policy and procedures of JSI and donor.
● Create effective engagement and coordination with relevant GOE agencies, donors, and other stakeholders by making sure availability of effective communications to support stakeholders in program implementation.
● Ensure overall compliance with donor and JSI policies, procedures, and regulations across the implementation of all activities.
● Supervise program (data use, governance, and programs) team and provide staff capacity building, mentorship, and coaching.
● Represent the project at various technical meetings, with other cooperating agencies, senior government officials, and donor agencies as required. Furthermore, advise COP and other relevant project staff on how best to present program activities at various technical meetings, to vendors, with other cooperating agencies, senior government officials, and donor agencies as required.
● Help prepare various routine reports to donors and national stakeholders and contribute to project(s) monitoring, evaluation, and learning plans.
● Ensure coordination with other partners, and in particular, other JSI projects working in related areas to enhance JSI’s reputation.
● Responsible for enforcing, promoting, and upholding JSI’s corporate culture, values, and fraud/ethics policies.
● Travel to the field, as necessary.
● Perform other duties as assigned by the COP.
● Bachelor’s degree with more than 15 years experience or Master’s degree or above with 10 years experience in public health, Health information, or any other related field of study.
● Ten or more years of experience working in the field of public health–specifically in digital health, data use, and/or health programs.
● Demonstrated experience in project management, and administrative duties for U.S. Government-funded projects or other internationally funded programs.
● Experience in technical and administrative management, including staff/team management, financial management, and award compliance.
● Strategic thinker about the implementation of programs. Proven ability in strategy planning, development, and oversight of multiple concurrent projects.
● Strong representational and interpersonal, communication skills.
● Must have strong writing skills in both English and Amharic.
● Fluency in written and verbal English and Amharic.
● Ability to prepare and present technical information and reports to the senior management team, donors, and partners.
● Experience in new business development, including both strategy development and proposal writing.
● Excellent computer skills, specifically in Windows, Word, Excel, and the Google Suite.
● Able to travel domestically and internationally to support project activities as needed.
JSI is a child-safe organization, and the safety and well-being of children is a priority of our organization. We have robust recruitment procedures to ensure that all staff are suited to work with the children served by our programs.
JSI/WEI is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action Employer committed to workplace diversity. We are committed to providing equal employment opportunities for all qualified applicants and employees without regard to age, race, color, national origin, ancestry, creed, religion, gender, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, sexual preference, genetic information, political affiliation, or protected
veteran status in any employment decisions. M/F/V/D.