Career Category: Program/Project Management
Years of experience: 5-9 years
Since 1963 and in 148 countries, ACDI/VOCA has empowered people in developing and transitional nations to succeed in the global economy. Based in Washington, D.C., ACDI/VOCA is a nonprofit international development organization that designs and delivers technical and management solutions in agriculture, economic growth, and resilience to promote economic prosperity and social inclusion.
Deputy Chief of Party, Ethiopia
ACDI/VOCA is seeking a highly qualified Deputy Chief of Party for the anticipated agriculture program in Ethiopia funded by USAID. This activity will increase access to healthy diets, particularly for women and children, by improving the competitiveness, inclusiveness, and resilience of the food and agriculture system.
The Deputy Chief of Party will be responsible for supporting the Chief of Party (COP) in management of staff, capacity building, and stakeholder engagement. S/he will also coordinate the development, implementation, and reporting on detailed management plans that may include implementation plans, deliverable tracking, etc. in assigned areas of responsibility. The program is anticipated to start in early 2022 and this position is envisioned to be based in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.
- Support the COP in providing technical leadership and direction and defining and implementing activities to achieve the greatest impact toward project goals and objectives.
- Provide support to programmatic teams, including identifying and promoting clear communications on budget management and programmatic activities, compliance, monitoring, evaluation and learning, and communication.
- In coordination with the COP, oversee budgets to ensure all expenditures follow ACDI/VOCA and donor policies and regulations as well as within the scope of the program budget.
- Provide leadership in identifying inclusive market development and private sector engagement opportunities, understanding evolving market systems, food systems, and resilience trends, conducting targeted research on new/potential market channels, business models, or partnerships.
- Ensure that cross-cutting issues such as gender, youth, social inclusion, resilience, nutrition, and climate-sensitive approaches are effectively integrated into the project and regulations as well as within the scope of the program budget.
- Contribute to the development of strategic plans, annual and quarterly work plans, reports, and other deliverables in line with USAID guidelines to achieve objectives.
- Support efforts to collaborate, learn and adapt with internal and external collaborators, adapting program as needed to optimize results per learning and contextual changes.
- Ensure that the activities and results are implemented in a timely manner within the approved budget.
- Support project staff by creating and maintaining a work environment that promotes teamwork, trust, mutual respect, learning, and adaptation and empowers staff to take responsibility.
- Assist COP in maintaining active, cooperative, and collaborative relationships with all key stakeholders, including government officials, project partners, other implementing agencies, and related institutions.
- In absence of COP, serve as Acting COP and represent ACDI/VOCA with partners and key stakeholders.
- Bachelor’s degree in agricultural economics, agribusiness, development, or related field.
- Minimum 7 years of progressively responsible management experience working with programs that are of a similar scope and complexity. USAID cooperative agreement or contract management experience is highly preferred.
- Demonstrated experience in project designs, strategic planning, and implementation of market systems, agriculture, and resilience activities. Proven leadership in adaptive management and CLA approaches.
- Demonstrated in-depth knowledge of and experience managing agricultural market systems and private sector-led programs.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills with demonstrated ability to lead collaborative working relationships with a diverse group of relevant stakeholders (producers, private sector, NGOs, government, and research institutions).
- Experience working in Ethiopia highly desired.
- Fluency in English required, Amharic preferred.
Ethiopian nationals are highly encouraged to apply.
How to apply
Please apply online at www.acdivoca.org/international-jobs. The applications will be reviewed promptly upon receipt, only finalists will be contacted. ACDI/VOCA is an equal opportunity employer. Women, minorities and people from diverse groups are encouraged to apply. ACDI/VOCA will never request payment or charge a fee to apply for any position.