Dairy Network Advisor (contingent to funding)
- Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
- Contract type: International employment contract
Information Duty Station: Addis Abeba, Ethiopia or Nairobi, Kenya.
SNV is a not-for-profit international development organization that applies practical know-how to make a lasting difference in the lives of people living in poverty. We use our extensive and long-term in-country presence to apply and adapt our top-notch expertise in agriculture, energy and WASH to local contexts. SNV has an annual turnover of €130 million, over 1,250 staff in more than 25 countries in Asia, Africa and Latin America. We are proud to be a not-for-profit organization that uses project financing to implement our mission. This requires us to work efficiently and to invest in operational excellence.
In its new Strategic Plan period (2019 – 2022), SNV will more explicitly aim for systems change during project preparation and implementation – by strengthening institutions and kick-starting markets that help many more to escape poverty beyond our projects. We will continue to position ourselves as a premium organization, with decentralized management. For more information on our operations in the various East African countries and SNV generally visit our website: www.snv.org
The regional dairy network advisor is the central node in the NEADAP (Netherlands East African Dairy Partnership) initiative and has a regional role, covering the East African region, including next to Ethiopia also Kenya, Uganda, Tanzania, Rwanda and Burundi.
NEADAP is a regional partnership between four core organisations, i.e. SNV, WUR, Agriterra and Solidaridad, that aims to support the dairy sector in the East African Region by making the expertise and experience gained/build up in the various/wide range of Dutch supported dairy project in East Africa available and accessible. The funding that has been secured for NEADAP is a follow-up to NEADAP phase 1 (2018-19) and NEADAP plus (2020 – now). The key objective of NEADAP phase 2 is to scale up products and approaches, by linking and working with many organisations and institutions within the East African countries. Considering the short time line and high profile, this position requires a strong coordinator, able to mobilise people and resources from across the different organisations. The advisor can draw on existing contacts within the NEADAP network, and will also expected to work closely with the Netherlands Embassies in all the East African countries.
As part of the NEADAP management team, the adviser will drive the implementation of the various NEADAP activities with respect to product development and adaptation, initiate and manage the scaling processes and directly implement the networking activities.
As part of the corporate dairy team, the adviser will also work with the Global Agricultural Team within SNV, and may also be requested by the MD for specific assignments.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Acts as technical expert on scaling for the NEADAP activities and supports the BRIDGE (Building Rural Income through inclusive Dairy business Growth in Ethiopia) manager, which is also the project leader of NEADAP, and the NEADAP management team on all aspects of implementation.
- Creates an enabling environment (by sharing knowledge, understanding stakeholders and environment) for the implementation of the activities, for NEADAP to meet its objectives.
- As part of the NEADAP management team guides and monitors all NEADAP teams working on the scaling of the various products, and reviews quality of interventions and ensures all project partners are satisfied with the engagements.
- Contributes to internal and external knowledge development products and processes, sharing of lessons learned for application in daily practice.
- Pro actively reaches out to stakeholders for raising interest for our products and further co-development and scaling of products.
- ·Initiates, supports and where applicable coordinates the knowledge development process and evaluation of NEADAP activities in order to collect lessons learned, propose corrective measures and ensure identification of follow up assignments. Participates in knowledge development/expertise groups and in internal and external networks.
- Identifies and proposes technical process improvements to NEADAP project activities and implementation.
- Acts on improvement areas within the project and processes and gives feedback to the NEADAP management team.
- Ensures lessons learned are applied in daily practice and shared widely across the various partner organisations.
- Supports the staff of the various partners involved in NEADAP activities and ensures that they are aware of their role and can capture and contribute to project opportunities.
- Acts as a technical expert on scaling, applies process improvements in assignments and works with all partners both professionally and operationally on quality of context within projects.
- Identifies and analyses market opportunities and threats and ensures relevant colleagues are informed.
- Actively participates in strategic positioning meetings and acts as a knowledgeable face for NEADAP activities.
- Analyses, understands and develops (local) networks with relevant stakeholders, identifies new partners.
- Builds, maintains and utilises relationships with relevant stakeholders, represents SNV and identifies opportunities for Business Development policies and procedures.
- Supports proposal development on request.
Master’s Degree or a Degree from a University for Applied Sciences in relevant agrifood development, preferably with experience in working partnership and network.
- Minimum of five (5) years of experience in agrifood value chain or sector development, preferably in East Africa.
- Basic knowledge on scaling and network approaches and familiarity with the dairy sector.
- Considering the short duration of the assignment (until December 2023), access to an established network within the East African dairy sector would be a distinct advantage.
- Experience with knowledge management and public-private partnership processes.
- Ability and expertise in carrying out dairy-related technical assessment, evaluations, feasibility studies, strategy and policy papers.
- Ability to travel.
- Work experience in a multi-disciplinary and cultural team.
- Good oral and written communication skills in English.
- Good computer and software applications skills.
- Sensitive and committed to gender equity and diversity.
How to apply
If you believe that your credentials meet the outlined profile, we invite you to apply by uploading your CV and motivation letter in English. Deadline is October 29 2021.
Working at SNV
We offer a challenging work environment, opportunities to lead and innovate, and a commitment to growing your skills in a fulfilling and diverse working environment. Our staff benefit from and contribute to an international global network of experts. For more information, please visit our website: www.snv.org
NB: only shortlisted candidates will be contacted