Category: Community Service
Location: Addis Ababa
Career Level: Managerial Level (Manager, Supervisor, Director)
Results for Development (R4D) is a leading non-profit global development partner. We collaborate with change agents around the world — government officials, civil society leaders and social innovators — to create strong systems that support healthy, educated people. We help our partners move from knowing their goal to knowing how to reach it. We combine global expertise in health, education and nutrition with analytic rigor, practical support for decision-making and implementation and access to peer problem-solving networks. Together with our partners, we build self-sustaining systems that serve everyone and deliver lasting results. Then we share what we learn so others can achieve results for development, too.
We have a unique and vibrant culture at R4D. Diversity, equity and inclusion are at the heart of our work environment and help advance our mission. Diversity—of ideas, identities, perspectives and backgrounds—is vital to who we are and what we do. We seek people who embrace these values and will help reinforce them. Our work culture is collaborative, creative and entrepreneurial. We operate based on trust and respect. Teams across the organization frequently collaborate on programmatic work and support each other in continuously building a better R4D.
The Health Systems Strengthening Accelerator (Accelerator) is a global initiative funded by the United States Agency for International Development (USAID), with co-funding from the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation (the foundation). Its goal is to support countries’ efforts to create high-performing, sustainable health systems on their journeys to self-reliance. The Accelerator partners with countries to address specific health system issues while institutionalizing country-driven processes for the selection, rapid testing, and purposeful scale-up of health system strengthening interventions. The Accelerator is led by R4D with support from Health Strategy and Delivery Foundation (HSDF, headquartered in Nigeria), ICF, and a growing number of global, regional, and local partner organizations.
The Inclusive Development (ID) Hub of USAID’s Bureau for Development, Democracy, and Innovation (DDI) has partnered with the Accelerator to support the Federal Ministry of Health of Ethiopia (MOH) to integrate rehabilitation throughout the health system and improve access to comprehensive rehabilitation services that meet the needs of the Ethiopian population. Accelerator support will entail direct technical assistance in addition to regional and global level activities to catalyze country-level work.
R4D is seeking a Rehabilitation (Prosthetics and Orthotics-P&O) Consultant (Ethiopia-based) to provide technical and advisory support to the MOH Clinical Services Directorate (CSD) team on how to strengthen P&O services within Ethiopia’s rehabilitation sector.
The Consultant will directly engage with the MOH (and other rehabilitation stakeholders in Ethiopia) and support, facilitate, and strengthen their capacity to select, design, and implement solutions to existing P&O challenges.
The Consultant must be based in Addis Ababa and will directly report to R4D’s Senior Program Officer for the Accelerator in Addis Ababa but will be expected to indirectly report and routinely engage with the CSD at the MOH.
This consultancy is anticipated to start immediately.
Consultant Role and Responsibilities
- The Consultant is expected to work in close partnership with the Accelerator team and collaboratively alongside MOH and other rehabilitation stakeholders in Ethiopia to conduct the following activities:
- Provide technical support to the MOH rehabilitation team and rehabilitation centers and hospitals providing P&O services
- Provide strategic and advisory support for integrating the P&O services into the rehabilitation sector of health systems in Ethiopia
- Provide advisory support on the strategy for enrolling P&O professionals to support rehabilitation in the health system
- Provide technical and advisory support for capacity-building of P&O professionals for both long-term and short-term training
- Advise and technically support the MOH team on implementation of P&O education and curriculum development
- Prepare and facilitate any rehabilitation/P&O-related meetings, working sessions or trainings with the MOH team
- Provide coaching and training support in the field of P&O
- Other responsibilities related to rehabilitation in health systems and P&O support as agreed upon with the Accelerator team
- BSc. in P&O with a minimum of 10 years of working experience and/or Master’s in P&O and related specialties preferred, preferably with international and training experience
- Good understanding of health systems and governance in Ethiopia
- Good understanding of workforce development and retention as related to P&O
- Experience with curriculum development and education, preferably related to P&O
- Knowledge of P&O service quality improvement and challenges related to strengthening rehabilitation in health systems at country, regional, and/or global level
- Ability to work effectively with a clinical team and provide recommendations for prosthetic devices.
- Knowledge of rehabilitative treatment goals and strategies that are unique to patients receiving specialized care
- Ability to analyze data and make recommendations to optimize quality, efficiency, performance, and productivity within the service.
- Ability to work in a flexible team environment and across different time zones
- Excellent client management skills and demonstrated experience of working with country level stakeholders, as well as with multilateral organizations and NGOs
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Professional fluency in English is a must. Working knowledge of Amharic will be considered an asset.
How to Apply
Interested applicants should submit a summary of their qualifications and relevant experience (CV), along with their average availability per week (in terms of number of days) over the next 9-12 months. Please send application materials to Reva Alperson (firstname.lastname@example.org). The team will contact candidates with any additional questions or requests for information.
*** PLEASE SUBMIT YOUR APPLICATION VIA EMAIL, DO NOT USE THE “APPLY FOR THIS JOB” BUTTON BELOW*****