Category: Development and Project Management
Career Level: Senior Level (5+ years experience)
Employment Type: Contract
Results for Development (R4D) is a leading non-profit global development partner. We collaborate with change agents around the world — government officials, civil society leaders and social innovators — to create strong systems that support healthy, educated people. We help our partners move from knowing their goal to knowing how to reach it. We combine global expertise in health, education and nutrition with analytic rigor, practical support for decision-making and implementation and access to peer problem-solving networks. Together with our partners, we build self-sustaining systems that serve everyone and deliver lasting results. Then we share what we learn so others can achieve results for development, too.
We have a unique and vibrant culture at R4D. Diversity, equity and inclusion are at the heart of our work environment and help advance our mission. Diversity—of ideas, identities, perspectives and backgrounds—is vital to who we are and what we do. We seek people who embrace these values and will help reinforce them. Our work culture is collaborative, creative and entrepreneurial. We operate based on trust and respect. Teams across the organization frequently collaborate on programmatic work and support each other in continuously building a better R4D.
The Health Systems Strengthening Accelerator (Accelerator) is a global initiative funded by the United States Agency for International Development (USAID), with co-funding from the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation (the foundation). Its goal is to support countries’ efforts to create high-performing, sustainable health systems on their journeys to self-reliance. The Accelerator partners with countries to address specific health system issues while institutionalizing country-driven processes for the selection, rapid testing, and purposeful scale-up of health system strengthening interventions. The Accelerator is led by R4D with support from Health Strategy and Delivery Foundation (HSDF, headquartered in Nigeria), ICF, and a growing number of global, regional, and local partner organizations.
The Inclusive Development (ID) Hub of USAID’s Bureau for Development, Democracy, and Innovation (DDI) has partnered with the Accelerator to support the Federal Ministry of Health of Ethiopia (MOH) to integrate rehabilitation throughout the health system and improve access to comprehensive rehabilitation services that meet the needs of the Ethiopian population. Accelerator support will entail direct technical assistance in addition to regional and global level activities to catalyze country-level work.
R4D is seeking a Rehabilitation Integration Consultant (Ethiopia-based) to provide strategic and advisory support to the MOH Clinical Services Directorate (CSD) team on how to integrate rehabilitation into health systems in Ethiopia.
The Consultant will directly engage with the MOH (and other rehabilitation stakeholders in Ethiopia) and support, facilitate, and strengthen their capacity to select, design, and implement solutions to existing rehabilitation integration challenges.
The Consultant must be based in Addis Ababa and will directly report to R4D’s Senior Program Officer for the Accelerator in Addis Ababa but will be expected to indirectly report and routinely engage with the CSD at the MOH.
This consultancy is anticipated to start immediately.
Consultant Role and Responsibilities
The Consultant is expected to work in close partnership with the Accelerator team and collaboratively alongside MOH and other rehabilitation stakeholders in Ethiopia to conduct the following activities:
- Provide regular analytical and advisory support to the MOH rehabilitation team around addressing health systems and financing challenges in Ethiopia as they relate to rehabilitation services
- In collaboration with the Accelerator team, 1) advise the MOH rehabilitation team on opportunities (mechanisms or approaches) for integrating rehabilitation into the health system to improve service provision and 2) facilitate discussions with MOH team about options (including considerations about feasibility of implementation)
- Support the implementation of the national rehabilitation strategy
- Identify analytical needs or gaps to help inform further strategy development and needs assessment for rehabilitation in health systems
- Provide inputs to MOH rehabilitation team around best practices for rehabilitation put forth by Rehab 2030: Call for Action, WHO’s Rehabilitation Guide for Action and other normative documents available globally
- Support creation of relevant documentation to help inform evolving policy design and course correction
- Contribute to monitoring and evaluation tools
- Other responsibilities as agreed upon with the Accelerator team
- If there is a need, the consultant may support the MOH CSD in other activities related to rehabilitation with prior consultation and agreement between the MOH CSD and Accelerator teams.
- Facilitate meetings and working sessions with the MOH team to understand the country’s main systems strengthening priorities as they relate to the rehabilitation/disability agenda and map out entry points
- Liaise regularly with key rehabilitation stakeholders (MOH and other relevant government agencies, technical partners) on evolving government and programmatic priorities and decisions regarding rehabilitation
- Review and provide constructive and strategic feedback on work done by MOH, the Accelerator team and other experts involved in this work
- A post-graduate degree with a minimum of 10 years of working experience at a policy and strategic level related to rehabilitation, disability, or related field
- Good understanding of health systems and governance in Ethiopia
- Knowledge of rehabilitation service quality improvement and challenges related to strengthening rehabilitation in health systems at country, regional and/or global level
- Thorough knowledge of the main normative and political initiatives at the global level that provide evidence and guidance of strengthening rehabilitation in health systems
- Good understanding of health systems strengthening concepts and country-level initiatives, especially as they relate to the control and management of non-communicable disease and the intersection of health systems with disability and related sectors
- Demonstrated expertise in designing and leading qualitative and quantitative analysis
- Proven track record of producing high quality analytical products, including policy analysis at the country level. Short-listed candidates will be asked to provide samples of such work
- Ability to work in a flexible team environment and across different time zones
- Excellent client management skills and demonstrated experience of working with country level stakeholders, as well as with multilateral organizations and NGOs
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Professional fluency in English is a must. Working knowledge of Amharic will be considered an asset.
How to Apply
Interested applicants should submit a summary of their qualifications and relevant experience (CV), along with their average availability per week (in terms of number of days) over the next 9-12 months. Please send application materials to Daniela Gutierrez (email@example.com). The team will contact candidates with any additional questions or requests for information.
*** PLEASE SUBMIT YOUR APPLICATION VIA EMAIL, DO NOT USE THE “APPLY FOR THIS JOB” BUTTON BELOW*****