Wetlands International is a global network organisation with 20 offices that share the name and brand ‘Wetlands International’ and implement a joint ‘Strategic Intent’. The organisation has its global office in Ede-Wageningen (Netherlands). Wetlands International works globally, regionally and nationally toward the conservation and wise use of wetlands to benefit biodiversity and human well-being. It is the only global NGO dedicated to the conservation and wise use of wetlands.
Wetlands International in the Eastern Africa region currently has operations in Kenya, Ethiopia, Tanzania, Uganda and South Sudan. Operations are expanding and are expected to continue to grow in the coming years. Wetlands International Eastern Africa office has responsibility for: sub-regional partnerships; communications; network development and nurturing; resources development; programme and project development, execution and reporting; human resources management; and country operations.
Wetlands International Eastern Africa is seeking a Communications Officer for the Wetlands International Ethiopia Office.
Duties and responsibilities:
- Assist and support program communication needs in Wetlands International Ethiopia;
- Collaborate with the Regional Communications officer to develop and implement an effective communication strategy based on the target audience;
- Respond to inquiries and act as the Wetlands International Ethiopia spokesperson.
- Assist in production of capacity building communication material e.g. toolkits, publications, documentary, etc.
- Supports the design, implementation and monitoring of the communication strategy in the Ethiopia office;
- Prepares various written reports, drafts section of studies, e-briefings and case studies for programs and projects running in Ethiopia;
- Support in donor relations to ensure evidence-based reporting and communication products are developed.
- Identify the communications needs of the projects and initiatives and suggest appropriate communication tools and tactics to the Regional Communications officer.
- Manage the communication assets such as images, banners and relevant equipment that shall be handed over to the Wetlands International Ethiopia office.
Duty Station: Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Reporting to: Country Programme Manager, Ethiopia and matrix managed by Regional Communication Officer
Type of contract: Initial contract for one year, including a probationary period of 3 months, with a possibility of extension
Offer: Competitive remuneration according to Wetlands International standards.
- Master’s degree in communication and media or related fields.
- Strong experience/background in the field of environmental journalism
- Proficiency in English language- both spoken and written
- Demonstrated experience in publication of advocacy and PR materials
- At least 5 years of professional experience in communications (preferably in the environmental sector), working with technical teams and evidence-based advocacy activities;
- Proven track record of working effectively across a range of media platforms;
- Sound knowledge of communication tools, social media management and information technology;
- Strong oral communication, writing and reporting skills with at least an year of experience in writing and editing;
- Experience in graphic design, audio/visual production and web content development;
- Proven track record in a similar position in the NGO sector in Ethiopia;
- Strong leadership skills and demonstrated ability in team management and collaboration;
- Excellent verbal and communication skills; good command of English and Amharic will be an added advantage.
- Very good analysis and reporting methods and techniques
- Experience working with multidisciplinary teams, particularly with international agencies
- Ability to work independently and as part of multi-cultural teams in an international environment;
- Experience with MS Word, MS Excel, internet and email packages.
How to Apply
- Candidates should apply by sending:
- An updated Curriculum Vitae (mandatory)
- Expected Remuneration (Mandatory)
- Names and contact details of two referees (Mandatory).
If you believe that your credentials meet the outlined profile, we invite you to apply by emailing your application to email@example.com
- Ensure to attach all requested documents for consideration.
- Clearly indicate the title of the position being applied for as follows “Application for Communications Officer Position” in the title of your mail.
- Only short-listed applicants will be contacted.