Deadline: Aug 26, 2022
The Global Alliance for Improved Nutrition (GAIN) is seeking for a Communication Manager, (Demand Creation) to lead and execute the communication strategies in the GAIN Ethiopia office. This role will be offered on a fixed-term contract basis of up to 4 years, subject to availability of funding. This role will be based in Addis Ababa.
The Global Alliance for Improved Nutrition (GAIN) is a Swiss-based foundation launched at the UN in 2002 to tackle the human suffering caused by malnutrition. Working with both governments and businesses, we aim to transform food systems so that they deliver more nutritious food for all people.
In particular, we aim to make healthier food choices more desirable, more available, and more affordable. GAIN’s mission is to advance nutrition outcomes by improving consumption of nutritious and safe food for all people, especially the most vulnerable to malnutrition.
About the Role
In this role, the Communications Manager will develop, coordinate, and execute communications strategies for GAIN Ethiopia including technical leadership on demand creation strategies to be implemented across projects/programs, as required.
Under the guidance of the Policy Advocacy and External Relations Program Manager, and in close collaboration with the GAIN global communications teams, they will strive to foster better understanding and support to GAIN’s operational work as well as make sure that GAIN’s information, advice, and guidance effectively reaches key audiences to increase uptake of nutritious and safe diets.
Key Responsibilities include:
- Develop, coordinate and supervise the execution of GAIN Ethiopia communication strategy and the activities organised across online and offline channels in alignment with GAIN’s priorities, corporate communications and country needs.
- Identify key opportunities to profile country leadership in relevant convening settings i.e., as speakers in events or webinars or networks of local organisations.
- Develop and regularly update a database of communication and advocacy resources that can be utilized by GAIN Ethiopia outreach to various audiences.
- Develop media plans to coordinate outreach to public and media and messaging to be consistent in with GAIN Ethiopia brand.
The ideal candidate should have a demonstrable and proven track record of working in the communication, print and broadcast media space. You will have the ability to manage complex communications strategies along with a high level of expertise when it comes to the utilisation of social media platforms.
You will be a team player that can build and maintain key relationships with internal and external stakeholders. You will be ahead of the curve when it comes to all subjects related to communication, and aware of emerging trends and new practices.
• A dynamic individual with excellent interpersonal and communication skills in multicultural environments.
• Highly adept in translating complex and technical information tailored to different audiences.
• Ability to synthesise complex content into simple terms.
• Ability to prioritize, multi-tasking, and work well independently under pressure to meet deliverables and deadlines.
• Ability to work in a multi-cultural, cross-functional team with a flexible and adaptable approach.
• Clear and systematic thinking that demonstrates good judgment, expert problem solving, and creativity.
• Dialogue, negotiation, and advocacy skills are up to the mark.
• Self-motivated, proactive, and solution-oriented with a commitment to quality and accuracy.
• Understanding of the food system including overall understanding the importance of nutrition.
• Understanding of government policies related to key advocacy issues.
• Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to coach, inspire and influence. Strong team player.
• Proven ability to work effectively in a team environment and matrix management structure is critical
• Passion for creative storytelling and new ideas with examples to showcase these.
• Demonstrable understanding and commitment to GAIN’s core values, vision, mission in the approach to work and relationships
• Substantial professional work experience in communication, print and broadcast media
• Strong experience in working with the development or private sector in terms of media promotion.
• Proven ability of developing and managing a communications strategy and coordinating internal and external communications
• Robust experience on demand creation interventions at the market and community level
• Proven ability to write, produce a wide range of communication content including reports, fact sheet, news, article, features, case study etc.
• Proven experience working on social media, graphics design, photography, videography, PowerPoint, Microsoft word and excel and interactive digital media.
• Understanding of nutrition and the country context is a plus.
• Bachelor or Master’s degree in communications, public relations or journalism or international relations and development or relevant qualification / experience.
About our Offer
The starting salary on offer for this role is from 923,946 (BIRR) per annum, depending on experience.
GAIN has a fair and competitive salary structure that allows for annual progression subject to good performance. In addition, GAIN offers a total of 37 days holiday per year (including annual leave, public holidays and additional office closure days), an attractive pension scheme and competitive insurance cover including health, travel and life assurance.
We are committed to the health of our staff, especially in these challenging times, and have developed a programme of wellbeing that includes flexible and hybrid working, additional leave allowances, wellbeing days, mindfulness coaching and access to independent and confidential counselling.
GAIN also has a strong commitment to professional development. We will support you to grow in your career through both formal and informal training, and are committed to providing opportunities through internal recruitment, secondments and promotion. All of this is delivered in a supportive and collaborative environment.
Our working culture and environment
We provide a flexible working environment that includes a combination of home and office working opportunities through our global hybrid working policy. This encourages our staff to have a healthy work-life balance and increases staff motivation, enriches employee wellbeing, and improves performance and productivity.
All of our positions are based in one or more of GAIN’s designated offices as stated on our job advertisements.
Successful candidates will be based in one of GAIN’s country offices and must have the existing right to live and work within a reasonably commutable distance of the relevant city / cities in which the role is advertised. Please note, that GAIN does not sponsor working visas and relocations.
GAIN reserves the right to withdraw an offer of employment for candidates who are considered to ineligible under the above conditions during or after the recruitment process.
HOW TO APPLY
CLICK HERE TO Apply and follow the “Apply Now” link.
This advert closes on Friday 26th August 2022. Early applications are encouraged. GAIN reserves the right to close this advert early should we receive suitable candidates ahead of the closing date.
The Global Alliance for Improved Nutrition is committed to equality of opportunity and creating an inclusive environment where diversity is valued.
We are keen to reflect the diversity of our society at every level within our organisation and therefore welcome applications from talented and committed people from all backgrounds, representing the diverse societies we operate in.