Immediate Vacancy Announcement (Internal and External)
The Jesuit Refugee Service (JRS) is an international Catholic organization with a mission to accompany, serve and advocate on behalf of refugees and other forcibly displaced people. It was founded by the Society of Jesus on 14th November 1980 in Rome, Italy. Currently, JRS operates over 56 countries worldwide. JRS has been working in Ethiopia since 1982. Currently JRS Ethiopia operates in Addis Ababa, Somali region (Melkadida, Kobe and Bokolomayo refugee camps) and Tigray (Mai-Aini and Adi-Harush refugee camps). JRS Ethiopia’s main areas of interventions are education, livelihoods, child protection, mental health and psychosocial support, emergency assistance, and reconciliation and social cohesion.
JRS Ethiopia wants to hire qualified Child Protection Coordinator based in Addis Ababa.
Child Protection Coordinator will oversee all JRS’s urban refugee child protection interventions, will manage child protection team, and maintain JRS-Ethiopia’s partnership with government agencies, UN agencies, NGOs and relevant service providers, refugee community structures and other stakeholders for the implementation of MHPSS interventions in Addis Ababa. He/she will lead and coordinate child protection interventions, ensuring assessment, planning, implementation, monitoring, evaluation, and reporting of child protection activities in Addis Ababa.
Specific Roles and Responsibilities:
Coordination, Project Design and Quality Assurance
- To coordinate and oversee implementation of all components and activities of urban refugee Child Protection programme
- Oversee the cash assistance programme for foster families and vulnerable children/families obtaining individual protection assistance (IPA)
- Authorize the selection of beneficiaries for cash assistance based on Case Management Supervisor’s recommendation
- In collaboration with Project Director develop new initiatives, and project proposal to be submitted to Country Office and donors
- Lead the development of child protection related training manuals and IEC materials
- In collaboration with Project Director and Country Program Quality Assurance and M&E Officer, standardize various trainings delivered by child protection team
- Ensure child protection team members compliance to urban CP SOP, minimum international and organizational standards
Supervision of staff and Capacity Building
- Organize and deliver capacity building trainings for Child protection team and CP ROVs and partners’ staff
- Design and monitor work plans of Case Management Supervisors, case workers, social workers and child psychologists, arts and music instructors, and education officer
- Convene regular child protection team meetings
- Provide support to JRS Child Protection team to conduct regular community conversations to identify protection risks, identify gaps and develop appropriate responses
- Undertake annual performance evaluation with each staff supervised by the CP Coordinator
- Planning, Monitoring, Reporting , Finance and administrative
- In collaboration with child protection team, prepare detail operational plan of child protection interventions
- Responsible for overall monitoring and reporting (data for advocacy, qualitative measures for programme development, donor reporting etc.)
- Submit monthly activity report to Project director and Country Office team
- Ensure that the CP team implements and maintains the use of JRS international programme templates, finance reporting procedures and the project database
Responsible for writing up periodical reports
- Document best practices of child protection interventions to contribute to program design and internal and external learning
- With the assistance of the Country Finance Officer administer the child protection activities’ finances, and track proper expense of the allocated budget
- To work with the Project Director, Country office program team to develop and submit the annual project plan and budgets to JRS and donors.
- Participate in joint program performance review exercise and facilitate annual beneficiaries’ satisfaction survey
- Initiate procurement of materials and equipment needed for the child protection intervention; and monitor and record use of materials and equipment.
Representation of JRS
- To represent JRS in meetings with government officials, UNHCR, NGOs and other actors focusing on child protection, to advocate and promote programme goals and objectives, and communicate with major partners on policies.
- Liaise with other agencies/NGOs/Government bodies/donors to ensure coordination, implementation of common standards and consideration of protection issues in assistance programs
- Maintain and improve JRS partnership and collaboration with partner NGOs, agencies and government
Reporting to: Project Director
Duty Station: Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Level: Seven (7)
Employment: 12 months, possibility of extension depending on availability of funding and performance
Starting date: As soon as possible
- MA or MSc Degree in Sociology, Development Studies, Local and Regional Development, Refugee and Migration Studies, Law, Social Work, Psychology or other related field.
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience in project management and coordination focusing on implementing child protection programme and urban refugee projects
- Longstanding experience with child protection and other interventions for refugees
- Experience in managing, supervising and coaching a team.
- Thorough knowledge of the international and national legal framework relevant to child protection and refugee protection.
- Experience working in humanitarian context with displaced populations in Ethiopia.
- Excellent command of English, both written and oral.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and cross-cultural sensitivity.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified applicants can submit only their CV (Excluding their scanned Copies of Educational, training and Experience Letters and application letter (the application letter should state current and expected salary) ; Submit to JRS-Ethiopia Country Human Resource Officer within 4 days (Including Saturday and Sunday ) of this announcement through the following email address: Eth01.firstname.lastname@example.org and fill the form via the following link https://forms.gle/myoJXjz9oLFYbTpTA
Step 1: Fill and complete the form (Fill all that apply to you and all fields are mandatory)
Step 2: Send only the requested application document (Letter and updated CV)
**Only those who fill up the form (through the indicated link) will be considered in the recruitment Process
Women applicants are highly encouraged.