CONTEXT OF THE MISSION
Médecins du Monde (MdM) is an international humanitarian organization whose mission is to provide medical care for the most vulnerable populations, the world over, including France. It seeks to stimulate voluntary commitment from doctors, other health care providers, and from those whose expertise in other fields is needed for its activities, to enlist all competent support required for the achievement of its projects, and to seek at all times to encourage close working relationships with populations in its care.
Médecins du Monde (MDM) is operating in Ethiopia since 1986 in different types of health projects from long-term interventions to emergency response.
FUNCTIONAL AND HIERARCHICAL LINKS
- The post holder will perform her/his tasks and duties under the supervision of the Logistics Coordinator.
- He/she will work closely with the Logistics Coordinator in order to fulfil his/her duties.
- Manages: With LogCo delegation manages Drivers, Guards, daily workers, subcontract works and services
- Collaborates with different departments in capital and field teams.
Based in Addis Ababa, the Capital Logistics Manager will be responsible for supporting the Logistics Coordinator with day to day tasks and activities and adequate logistics support to the Ethiopian mission / Coordination, the implementation of humanitarian program, in the respect of MDM procedures and donors’ requirements:
Mainly responsible for supporting logistical function in the Addis Ababa and our field bases.
Facilitates the proper logistic management in capital and the smooth running of logistic activities in the mission by assuming some tasks delegated by the Logistic coordinator and assisting him/her in specific activities.
TASKS & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Under the direct management of the Logistics Coordinator, and with the technical support of HQ Logistics and GenCo, you will be responsible for:
- Supporting the activities of the Project with the resources, MDM’s procedures and tools, in order to facilitate achievement of the operational objectives:
- Oversee the implementation of and compliance with MDM logistics procedures, policies and management tools; when necessary, propose improvements.
- Responsible for logistical and medical supplies to the Project.
- Manage and monitor the logistics of the material resources for the Project, under the supervision of the line manager and the technical adviser.
- Implement support activities (communications, electricity, transport) and any other logistical activities required to achieve the medical objectives (construction/restoration, water & sanitation, etc.).
- Coordinate the work of all the logistics teams, supervise their training and assessment.
- Participate and provides leadership on logistics aspects of any emergency response undertaken by the Mission when required.
- Report on regular basis about all logistics activities within the mission to the Logistics Coordinator.
GENERAL LOGISTICS MANAGEMENT
- Participate in the implementation of the technical choices, policies and logistics procedures defined by the line manager, and ensure compliance with them; ensure the correct use of tools and documents for logistical monitoring.
- Support Logistics coordinator to ensure implementation of the technical aspects of the Project risk reduction policy and the technical feasibility of the evacuation plan.
- Participate in evaluating the material and human resources needed to carry out the logistical activities of the Project, in conjunction with the line manager.
- Assist the line manager and technical adviser with responding to emergencies, by keeping emergency stocks replenished.
- Providing a detachment of logistics staff without compromising normal activities.
- Participate in the preparation, updating and monitoring of the logistics budget.
- Ensure the proper use, monitoring, regular maintenance (in accordance with the MDM standards) and protection of all Project infrastructures, installations and equipment, particularly by establishing and supervising security measures/rules (theft, fire, etc.).
- Ensure the upkeep and maintenance of logistics buildings, office buildings, and residential premises of the MDM teams.
- Ensure good living conditions for the teams and compliance with the health and safety measures defined by the line manager, in close collaboration with the medical coordinator.
- In the absence of the Logistics Coordinator and at the request of the General Coordinator, oversee security
- Organize the procurement system in line with procedures with the line manager, depending on local field markets, national or international procurement.
- Manages all purchasing processes at coordination level in accordance with requirements and guidelines, ensuring not split purchases and following the financial thresholds and associated procedures.
- Liaise with field teams and Logistics procurement officers on all logistics issues to ensure efficient and effective delivery of operations.
- Prepare purchase orders for purchases in line with logistical, medical and administrative needs, in compliance with procedures (logistics use, signing orders, etc.).
- Responsible for the cost effectiveness of the purchases, guaranteeing the best options (regarding quality and prices).
- Responsible for the respect of MdM’s ethics procedures regarding purchases.
- Make local purchases, in accordance with the MDM procurement rules. Ensure the quality of the products and services provided, timeframes and the competitiveness of prices, in line with the code of professional conduct.
- Responsible for the administrative supervision of internal and external orders; ensure that all documents relating to orders (waybills, packing lists, etc.) are correctly filed.
- Oversee the conditions of acceptance of freight or materials arriving by truck and the organisation and preparation (including packing and documentation) of materials to be shipped.
- Establish and maintain good professional working relationships with suppliers, service providers and contractors whilst strictly adhering to MdM anti-corruption guidelines and code of conduct.
- In coordination with LogCo, AdminCo and Finance Officer, prepare monthly the forecasts of purchases.
- Correctly maintain the tracking and filing system to record and archive all procurements. Archive the purchase file originals documents (including copy of the invoice) in the base office and ensure that soft copies are archived on the logistics SharePoint.
- Responsible for the follow-up of the ongoing contracts: lessor, service providers, insurance/ housing/ Office/ Car rental etc.
- Oversee the storage, packing and management of stocks (logistics materials, stationery and maintenance products), and provide the medical teams with technical support for the pharmacy.
- Comply with the storage rules for stored products (food, hazardous substances, etc.).
- Perform regular consumption checks and update stock cards.
- Take a physical inventory of all MDM stocks and goods, in accordance with the frequency defined with the line manager.
- Regularly evaluate the storage areas used compared with the needs of the Project (volume, security, etc.); propose possible adaptations to the line manager (new organization, etc.).
- Responsible to assist base logistician on registration, maintenance, repairs-maintenance & disposal of MdM assets, ensuring full control of items at all stages.
- Upon reception of the goods, responsible for checking the quantity, state and content of packages received in comparison with the Order or Goods Received.
- If irregularities upon reception (missing or damaged packages or products, product errors, etc.) appeared, note them and inform promptly the Logs Procurement, LogCo and Field Co.
- Ensure that all goods are well organized and correctly stored, well protected, fully identified and easily accessible (cleanliness, security, access, etc.).
- Produce all stock documents according to MdM policy and formats.
- Ensuring all assets are tagged and listed at the time of procurement, and that records are always up to date.
- Be responsible for the vector control and the good state of stocks.
LOGISTICS MANAGEMENT OF THE PREMISES:
- Assist Base Logistician to follows up the consumption of office material, fuel and lubricants used in the different facilities (office, house, store, etc.)
- Checks with Base Logistician cleanliness of different open spaces (gardens, courtyards, etc.)
- Work closely with Base Logs to ensures the maintenance of all MDM premises (office, houses, stores, etc.) and checks on the general state of facilities (walls, roofs, electrical installations, water supply and quality…)
- Support Base logistician minor building rehabilitation work
- Assist LogCo to checks the conformity of security norms in MDM premises
VEHICLE MANAGEMENT AND MAINTENANCE
- Ensure that a fleet of vehicles that meets the needs of the Project in terms of size and quality is maintained; propose any necessary changes to the line manager.
- Oversee the effective management and regular maintenance of the vehicle fleet and correct completion of the logbook.
- Organise transport (daily movement of vehicles), in conjunction with the line Base Logs, taking into account the needs of the Project and security considerations.
- Monitor the fuel consumption of vehicles and mechanical equipment (generators + moto pump), and the use of spare parts.
- Assures that the car park is functional, being responsible for the vehicles and making sure they are in good working conditions all the time.
- Ensure the security of persons and goods during transportation.
- Supervise and train the teams of drivers, guards and any other staff involved
- Ensure the respect of MDM vehicle management procedure
- Makes sure that the drivers are carrying out weekly vehicle checks.
- Responsible for the transport and movement of goods in the project and to other projects (loading and offloading goods).
- Responsible for the reporting and follow up of the vehicle service and fuel consumption.
Starting date: ASAP
Basic Salary : basic salary 30,560 ETB+1,300 transport allowance
Contract duration : 8 months with the posibility of extention
- Essential – BA/MA in supply chain management, procurement, business administration and other related field of study with the combination of relevant training and practical experience.
- Essential – Two years of professional work experience as a Logistic Manager in INGO.
- Essential – Available immediately
- Essential – English and Amharic
- Essential – experience using pack office (word and Excel mainly)
- Willing to travel to the field for logistics support
- Strong organizational skills in emergency situations and autonomous in daily operations
- Excellent reporting and communication skills
- Showing flexibility, reactivity, anticipation
- Capacity to respect short terms deadlines.
How to Apply
Interested applicants are required to fill the application form at the following link https://forms.gle/D5JqBNgMLGTgCfjv5 (Note : All the information that provided in this form is true and accurate) and submit their CV with cover letter through email@example.com with the subject Capital Logistics Manager – Addis Ababa / ETHIOPIA MISSION
NB: only shortlisted candidates shall be contacted.
Women is strongly encouraged to apply