Basic Education and Skill Development Advisor
Youth Development Director
Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
ABOUT INTERNATIONAL YOUTH FOUNDATION (IYF ®)
For thirty years, our sole focus has been to help young people succeed. Together with partners around the world, we’ve invested in ensuring that youth develop the leadership, technical, and life skills to earn a livelihood. Whether it’s landing a first job, growing a business, or driving social change, every young person deserves the opportunity to realize his or her full potential. Rooted in the belief of youth as problem-solvers, change-makers, and leaders, our initiatives are catalysts for change. For more information, please consult www.iyfglobal.org.
The primary responsibility of this position will be to help build the foundational skills of young people that open up pathways for economic opportunities and strengthen youth agency. As a core member of the USAID Integrated Youth Activity’s (IYA) Youth Development team and in partnership with IYA’s youth inclusion and engagement, enterprise development, and capacity building and partnership functions, this position will support the development and delivery of high-quality literacy and numeracy, life and soft skills, leadership and civic skills, and work readiness skills training for young people, and build sustainable capacities of youth-serving organizations to cascade future trainings at scale. This position requires experience in accelerated basic education, adult learning, vocational and job readiness skill development, curriculum and instructional design, and training of trainers in higher education and non-governmental organization settings.
CORE JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
· Lead consultative process involving youth and other stakeholders to adapt and contextualize IYF’s Passport to Success, I-SERVE, and My Career My Future curricula, and other appropriate resources, to respond to assessed needs of youth and to labor market skills gap findings in Ethiopia.
· Support the development and application of IYA’s intake tool to assess risk appetite and develop tailored training packages of work readiness skills for youth seeking paid employment, or entrepreneurship training for those starting their own businesses.
· Develop and lead a cadre of IYF-certified Master Trainers from local civil society organizations, youth coalitions and consultants to build training capacities for foundational skilling within IYA’s youth hubs and higher education institution career centers, through a Training of Trainers cascade approach.
· Establish a functional literacy program within IYA’s, linking youth in need of basic education to project services and adding components of life skills, healthy behaviors, and civic engagement to existing Regional Education Bureau ABE curricula.
· Advise IYA’s staff, youth hubs, and consortium resource partners delivering TOTs and direct training services to youth, to ensure quality control and adherence to program standards.
· Collaborate closely with IYA technical advisors and specialists across the youth development ecosystem to ensure basic education and skilling interventions are well integrated and aligned with overall program strategy and goals.
· Establish and oversee monitoring and data collection systems to track attrition rates, training cohorts and capacity building metrics.
· Other duties as requested.
- Bachelors’ degree or equivalent work experience in a relevant field such as education, social sciences, career counseling or talent development.
- Seven years of experience implementing projects in the areas of accelerated education, youth development, vocational training, and/or job readiness in Ethiopia.
- Knowledge of and experience working within the Ethiopian higher education and vocational education systems a plus.
- Strong understanding and demonstration of adult learning, effective teaching, cascade training, and measurement of knowledge/skill/ability acquisition.
- Excellent training, facilitation, and workshop management skills. Experience with virtual training modalities and e-learning strongly desired.
- Demonstrated experience successfully working with the public sector, the private sector, civil society, nongovernmental organizations, and community-based organizations.
- Strong ability to build partnerships, facilitate cross-sector collaboration, advocate for institutional and systemic change, and generate commitment to shared goals.
- Deep personal commitment to social and economic development that recognizes youth as critical actors and beneficiaries, and to gender equity and social inclusion.
· Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English and Amharic.
· Strong presentation, research, reporting and representation skills.
· Excellent computer skills using MSOffice 365 Suite of products.
· Ability to travel domestically up to 30% of time.
How to Apply
Please submit your CV in English via email to email@example.com with ” Basic Education and Skill Development Advisor” in the subject line. To be eligible for this position, applicants must have the legal authority to work and reside in Ethiopia; this position is a local hire position in Ethiopia. Applications will be reviewed as received.
The closing date for submitting applications is September 26, 2021.
The International Youth Foundation is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Please note only finalists will be contacted. No phone calls please. International Youth Foundation is an Equal Opportunity Employer.