Location: Shire- Tigray Region
Reports to: Country Director
Grade – E2
Start of Contract & Duration: One year
Deadline: 03 September 2022
OVERALL PURPOSE OF THE JOB
DRC is looking for a mature, experienced area manager who can collaborate with key partners and donors to deliver the most basic but major needs of the populations affected by the recent insecurity in Tigray Region. Able to demonstrate the ability to take on management responsibilities along with strategic leadership in a complex humanitarian response. Programming includes NFI distribution, WASH and Shelter activities whilst mainstreaming protection activities, which will then develop as the context settles and needs arise. The Area Manager for this response needs to be adaptive and flexible, have innovative and dynamic approaches that are enabling programme activities while coping with access issues, including severely restricted access to cash, fuel and internet throughout the region, implementing in remote locations which face insecurity at times. Representation is a key function of this role along with great communication, team building a young but rapidly growing team and decision making in sometimes difficult circumstances.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Overall responsibility for the design, implementation and effective monitoring of agreed projects and activities given the constraints and restrictions in place.
- Ensure the best use of resources for life-saving activities and prioritise activities and impact with need.
- Ensure effective monitoring, evaluation and documentation of all activities and processes. Ensuring the analysis of data collected (at various levels) to inform activity changes to improve programme quality.
- Ensure the development and implementation of all activities in line with Humanitarian Accountability Principles (HAP) and DRC programme policies especially gender, age and disability.
- To oversee North programming and budget management, with short-term visits to each site of operations to ensure programme quality
- To be engaged strategically with all technical sectors as need and provide management and strategic input/oversight
- To facilitate linkages and support with Country Office and Regional technical advisors and ensure quality design and implementation of the programme when communications allow.
Representation and Relations
- Represent DRC with the regional/local governments, UN bodies and non-government organizations as required. Ensure appropriate DRC staff attend the ad hoc and regular meetings, clusters, and technical working groups as applicable to DRCs programme and work in the region.
- Engage with all stakeholders including community leaders, local and regional government, and humanitarian partners seeking opportunities for collaboration and cooperation
- Ensure accurate and on-time reporting internally and externally.
- Establish strong communications and clear roles and responsibilities of the team holding regular management meetings to engender accountability and quality leadership in all offices.
- Manage direct reports to agreed job priorities and identify learning and development needs for programme staff, under your direct and indirect supervision. Bring human resource/staff management issues to the senior management team and/or CD for decisions.
- With team leads manage the programme activitiesand budgets to ensure effective and efficient use of resources including financial, human and all assets.
- Ensure programme teams work closely with the support team to deliver projects aligned with DRC policies and procedures in finance, procurement and logistics including effective planning weekly, monthly and quarterly.
- Overall responsibility for security in and around the North zone including ensuring adherence to agreed security protocols, recommending changes to security protocols and working with the Support Services Officer and Security Officer to implement the agreed security action plan.
- Work closely with the finance team to ensure spending is timely and accurate
- Support the supply chain and logistics enabling them to achieve their function to support the programme
- Any other reasonable activities as requested by the Country Director.
All DRC roles require the post-holder to master DRC’s core competencies:
- Striving for excellence: You focus on reaching results while ensuring an efficient process.
- Collaborating: You involve relevant parties and encourage feedback.
- Taking the lead: You take ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
- Communicating: You listen and speak effectively and honestly.
- Demonstrating integrity: You act in line with our vision and values.
Experience and Technical Competencies:
- Minimum of 6 years’ experience as Area Manager in a complex restrictive humanitarian context,
- Able to demonstrate capacity to work in remote hardship areas where innovative implementation and adaptability is shown
- Proven expertise in assessments, monitoring and evaluation processes.
- A University level degree in, social sciences or economics.
- Relevant technical expertise/experience in some sectors of humanitarian programming such as Protection, WASH, shelter, livelihoods, and community development, etc.
- Proven ability to build external relationships with diplomacy, tact and professionalism in a complex and demanding environment.
- Demonstrated ability to manage and support multi-sector programmes including operational planning and problem solving.
- Demonstrated experience of people management, capacity and team-building.
- Demonstrated experience of financial and asset management,
- Excellent written and presentation skills in English
- Strong analytical capacity for programme design and development.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Proficiency in common computer packages and financial software i.e. Word, Excel, Power point etc.
- Must show ability to work in an isolated and challenging environment.
Interested candidates who meet the required qualifications and experience are invited to submit updated CV and cover letter explaining their motivation and why they are suited for the post.
We only accept applications sent via our online-application form on www.drc.ngo under Vacancies: https://candidate.hr-manager.net/ApplicationInit.aspx?cid=1036&DepartmentId=19012&ProjectId=165527&MediaId=5&SkipAdvertisement=true
Please note that we receive applications up to September 3, 2022.
For general information about the Danish Refugee Council, please consult www.drc.ngo.
CVs will be reviewed on a rolling basis and interviews will be conducted before the closing date if we get qualified candidates for the post.
Gender Equality: DRC is committed to achieving gender parity in staffing at all levels. In light of this, women candidates are particularly encouraged to apply to bridge the gender gap.
Equal Opportunities: DRC is an equal opportunity employer. We value diversity and we are committed to creating an inclusive environment based on mutual respect for all employees. We do not discriminate on the basis of age, sex, disability status, religion, ethnic origin, colour, race, marital status or other protected characteristics
We encourage only qualified Ethiopian Nationals to apply. DRC considers all applicants based on merit.
DRC as an employer
By working in DRC, you will be joining a global workforce of around 8000 employees in 40 countries. We pride ourselves on our:
- Professionalism, impact & expertise
- Humanitarian approach & the work we do
- Purpose, meaningfulness & own contribution
- Culture, values & strong leadership
- Fair compensation & continuous development
Providing equal opportunities
We are committed to creating an inclusive and positive work environment based on mutual respect for all employees. All applicants are considered for employment without attention to race, age, ability, ethnicity, nationality, religion, gender identity, sexual orientation, marital status, or any other factor. At DRC we celebrate diversity and appreciate our employees for the people they are and their unique skills, backgrounds, and perspectives. We encourage all interested candidates to apply.