October 08, 2021
Job Title: Area Coordinator
Reports to: Program Manager
Duty Station: Oromia Regional State, Chior/Gombi Bordede
Salary: As per the organization Scale
Duration: One year with possible extension based on performance
Islamic Relief is an international relief and development charity founded in 1984 with its headquarters in Birmingham, UK. As well as responding to disasters and emergencies, Islamic Relief promotes sustainable economic and social development by working with local communities – regardless of race, religion or gender. The office officially started its operation in Ethiopia in 2004. Islamic Relief Ethiopia (IRE) is operational in the Somali Regional State with a base office in Hargelle, Elkere, Bare and Dekasuftu, Afar Regional State; Ewa and Gulina, Oromia Regional State; Chiro and Meayso and an additional operational office in Addis Ababa. For more information please visit our website: http://www.islamic-relief.org/work-with-us.
The Area Coordinator is responsible for coordinating, consolidating, and ensuring smooth implementation of program and operations’ activities and adherence to logistic, human resource, administration and security procedures. At the zonal /woreda level, the Area Coordinator represents Islamic Relief(IR) to relevant stakeholders. He/she develops and implements the district strategy integrating FSL, Nutrition , WASH and Education programs in collaboration with the respective sector officers and technical staffs .
1. Coordination and Management
- Depending on the context and mission needs, the Area Coordinator develops and implements the district strategy integrating FSL, Nutrition,WASH and Education programs in collaboration with the respective sector officers and technical and supporting staffs at field level.
- Lead the daily work of the development and emergency response teams, draft weekly work plans, set short term objectives and ensure staff performance
- Provides general support, guidance, and serves as focal point during program planning, project implementation, grant writing, and reporting.
- Oversees opening, closing and/or regular running of filed base including management of all or part of support staff, program support activities and administration of the base as well as coordination with program staff at the field base.
- Ensures that IR procedures and donor regulations applicable to projects implemented in the region or zone or woreda with regards to program, logistics, security, HR, and administration are closely followed.
- Establish and continuously updates baseline data and information where priority needs are well analyzed to improve programme design and provide bench marks,
- Participating or contributing for initiating of different concept notes for project design
- Update on current development/humanitarian situation and conducting need assessment
- Ensure programs or projects are planned and designed with clear management structure, implementation, monitoring plan, phase out and sustainability strategies whereby resources are adequately allocated to deliver commitments as planned,
- Prepare detail project implementation plan( i.e annual, quarterly and other forms of plans) and ensure these plans are implemented as per stipulated time, quantity and expected quality
- Ensure project activities are implemented in line with IR missions and values, and all policies and procedure are maintained and followed in all functional steps
- Ensure that all projects are delivered on time; within scope and within the budget limit,
- Review and write monthly, quarterly, annual, area reports of any form and forward to the country office or any other parties including government reports
- Measure project performance using appropriate systems, tools and techniques,
- create and maintain comprehensive project documentation
- work closely with zonal and woreda government officials to create conducive working environment, free information flow, regulatory support, and greater stakeholder participation. Attend coordination or task force meetings as deemed necessary and report outputs.
- Ensure that field implementation is based on verifiable needs and observe the highest standards in line with the principles of neutrality and impartiality
- Ensure that programs/projects are implemented, monitored and evaluated and effectively handed over to the relevant government sectors and respective communities as their performance are finalized
- With the support fromS eniror Safeguarding and Protecting Officer,ensuring that staff, volunteers and new recruits are inducted and trained regularly on all aspects of safeguarding and protection
- Represents the organization at the Zonal level including general meetings with humanitarian or development actors, local authorities as well as sector program meetings when requested by the Country level FSL, Nutrition and WASH programs Coordinators or program manager
- Represents, manages the visit of donor’s representatives / country office visitors / other stakeholders whenever requested.
- Overseeing the logistics on the field level ensuring the proper set up / running of base premises (office / guest house), the functioning of supply chain including procurement planning, purchasing of goods and services, their transport and storage, the organization, planning, and maintenance of the fleet and equipment, and the functioning of the means of communication appropriate for the respective implementation area
4. Administration/Human Resources/Financial Management
- The Area Coordinator is responsible for overseeing the management of finances and administration on the field level.
- The Area Coordinator ensures the proper management of finances on the bases including planning, authorization of expenses, and reporting.
- Ensures the management of Human Resources in accordance with the IR guidelines and the legal requirements in the country.
- Lead and motivate program, finance and admin personnel under his/her supervision
- Identify knowledge, skill and attitude gaps/ training needs for program area office personnel and prepare career development plans and implement feasible opportunities.
- Prepares program budget requirements and submit fund transfer request to country as per schedule, follow up that fund is transferred and used in procedural and timely manner for the intended purpose;
- Make sure that financial resources are managed and utilized in accordance with the pertinent IR and donor regulations
- Regularly send financial utilization reports as per set policy and procedures of IR and donors
- Perform other functions as requested by the country program manager or Program Coordinators
- Area Coordinator is responsible for the field security management and ensures the security of staff, premises, materials and assets.
- The Area Coordinator monitors the political, economic, and social environment in the area, assesses and analyses the risks, monitors and reports the security situation and develops security procedures relevant to the context.
Qualifications and Experience
- Master’s Degree in rural development/agriculture, sociology, management, or any other relevant field including public health and with at least 3 years work experiences. OR Bachelor degree in rural development/agriculture, sociology, management, or any other relevant field including public health and with at least 8 years and plus working experience in development or emergency setttings.
- Substantial knowledge regarding the program management on field level especially FSL, Nutrition and WASH programs.
- Good understanding of financial and HR procedures required.
- Excellent communication and representative skills (written, oral, cross-cultural)
- Ability to multitask and deal with stressful situations.
Required Skills & Competencies
- A proven track record on project management on one of the following topic (FSL, Nutrition, WASH ) or a proven track record of support management of humanitarian-development project (Admin, Log, HR).
- Strong management skills and leadership, pro-activity
- Strong communication, networking ,representation and and an ability to work with a multi sectorial team
- Good team worker, facilitator and mediator
- Fluency in written and spoken English, Afaan Oromo and Amharic.
- Excellent command of office software, such as word processors, spreadsheets, databases.
- Enthusiasm to work with the local communities.
- Experience in working with government counterparts and other partners at woreda/regional level
- Working knowledge of computers particularly Excel, Word and databases
- Previous relevant experience in INGO sector is an asset
- Female candidates are highly encouraged
Safeguarding and Equal Opportunity
Islamic Relief and Islamic Relief staff considers the welfare and protection of children, young people and people at risk to be paramount to the organization. And must adhere the principle of ‘do no harm and leave no one behind.’ It is critical we do not expose communities or staff we work with to the risk of harm through our interventions. With a zero tolerance approach Islamic Relief have a number of related policies which also describe standards in behavior expected from the organization, its staff and representatives towards each other and those we serve. Islamic Relief is committed to responding swiftly, appropriately and constructively to any and all information children, young people and people at risk have disclosed.
All offers of employment will be subject to satisfactory references and appropriate screening checks, which can include criminal records and terrorism finance checks. We participate in the Inter Agency Misconduct Disclosure Scheme and will request information from job applicants’ previous employers about any findings of sexual exploitation, sexual abuse and child abuse during employment, or incidents under investigation when the applicant left employment before signing the contract agreement.
Islamic Relief believes everyone has the right to be safe, respected and valued regardless of who they are or their circumstances, and an equal employment opportunity to all candidates and qualified applicants, we do not discriminate on the base of age, sex, race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, disability status and diversity.
How to Apply:
· Interested candidates are required to submit a complete Job application form with all required supporting documents (copy of credentials and testimonials) through Ethiopia.HR@islamic-relief.org.et.
· You can access the Job Application Form with this link: http://www.islamic-relief.org.et/wp-content/uploads/2019/03/Employment-Application-form-1.docx. Failure to follow the instructions will invalidate your application.
· Closing date for the application is October 22, 2021.
· Due to the high volume of application, we regret that we will be able to contact only the shortlisted candidates.