The post holder will support the development and implementation of national advocacy strategies, as an integral part of our programmes, across Christian Aid’s country offices in Africa. This role will support African country staff and partners to raise capacity and delivery of national advocacy, especially in relation to our priority campaigns; strengthen the linkage between programmes and advocacy; and ensure that we advocate in line with our strategic focus on poverty, power and prophetic voice. S/he will also support the work between Christian Aid, and external partners and allies, as we collaborate with them to deliver impactful global and multi-country advocacy strategies and campaigns. This includes our engagement with the ACT alliance, and with regional churchbased and ecumenical networks. Supporting the Senior Pan-Africa Advocacy Advisor, the post holder will help to integrate this work into our national programmes, and where relevant participate in regional and international advocacy initiatives.
- Christian Aid country staff and partners in African country offices are supported in delivering strategic and effective advocacy, in line with our priority campaigns, as part of a whole of programme approach.
- Restricted funding for national level policy, advocacy and campaigns is secured, as part of the pipeline for country offices in the region; and that countries are supported to deliver on their restricted funding commitments
- Country offices are confident about how to navigate national advocacy spaces, with partners and as Christian Aid, and to manage risk effectively and influence successfully
- Partners and alliances are supported to mobilise and to campaign locally according to the context and needs. Capacity-building tools are identified or developed as appropriate.
- The creation and delivery of discrete advocacy initiatives linked to international and regional processes that are relevant to international campaign projects
- Effective advocacy strategies at the national level connect to, and are supported by, the work Christian Aid does at the pan-African level, and globally.
- Christian Aid in Africa collaborates well with strategic partners, coalitions and alliances to maximise progress on key corporate priorities and objectives and to be a catalyst for the building of global movements for justice
- Christian Aid is effectively represented in key inter- agency networks and working groups, both in Africa and internationally
Applied skills/knowledge and expertise
- Degree or equivalent. Graduate qualification in relevant social science or development studies, or commensurate experience.
- Strong understanding of how change happens and of effective advocacy and campaigning strategies
- Proven experience of building constructive working relationships with diverse stakeholders, and of working in networks or coalitions
- Good understanding of the African contexts in which we work, and the ways in which our global campaigns and other priority issues apply to these contexts, including at the regional level
- Experience of working with African civil society, on advocacy, campaigning or communications
- Experience in representing corporate policy positions to diverse audiences
- Ability to communicate complex issues simply, both verbally and in writing.
- Experience in developing and implementing advocacy strategies
- Proven ability to work to tight deadlines and prioritise work effectively.
- Excellent written and spoken English
- Commitment to Christian Aid‘s mission, vision and values
- Ability to work in French
- NGO programme experience
- Experience of online and social media campaigning
- Experience of working with church-based organisations or faith groups
- Experience in managing multi-country campaigning and advocacy projects